2013/09/19

Coffee cups, tables and more at Habitare

On Wednesday I had the chance to visit Habitare at Messukeskus in Helsinki. Habitare is an annual fair exhibiting interior decoration ranking from furniture and materials to art and design products.  Here are some of the things I spotted at the fair.

Coffee inspired graphic design in these sweet postcards caught my eye at the Polkajam stand. The postcards are designed by Kristiina Haapalainen and Sami Vähä-Aho. Naturally I bought a whole set of these.

Marimekko cups and textiles


Wood material was widely used at the stands and many times in the format of wooden euro pallets. I wrote about these also in my earlier post Trendy coffee table: wooden pallets. A big trend at the moment!



A more colourful coffee table by Tikkurila

Wine bottle cork inspired bar stools from Boknäs

A cake pop is a perfect little dessert to have with coffee. These cake pops made with Lékué’s silicone baking mould looked delicious at Mastermark Brands stand.


I spent the entire day at the fair and of course I had some coffee during the day - three cups in total to be exact. My first cup was at the Tori kahvila in the Reading corner located in the ahead! area. Tori kahvila’s coffee was filtered and served by Benjamin Andberg from Helsingin kahvipaahtimo. Benjamin told me that the coffee beans he used had been roasted only one day before – fresh coffee in so many terms!



The second cup I had was machine made at Miele's stand. They had a very nice coffee bar surrounded by newest Miele home equipment.  Their automatic coffee machine is meant to be integrated as part of the interior design. I could see this used at office type of environments but I am not sure who will have space for this at home? The machine uses beans but the taste of the coffee was very much the average what you can expect from an automatic machine.  




The Messukeskus exhibition centre has been recently renovated and especially the cafeterias and restaurants seemed to have gone through a big facelift. My third coffee was at Fazer café located at the newly renovated space in the entrance lobby. I can still remember how the café here looked before and I think that the renovation for this space has really made miracles. This was really needed here I would say.



Habitare is open until Sunday 22nd - do you plan to visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment